Advertisement

Symbols of duality

topic posted Mon, January 17, 2005 - 11:57 PM by  Unsubscribed
Share/Save/Bookmark
What are some good symbols of duallity. The perfect one, as far as I'm concerned, is the Yin-Yang. I know there are countless, maybe infinite, manifestations of duality, but what are some other symbols that communicate the phenomena? I'm looking for more obscure ones, maybe ones that go back to ancient times.
posted by:
Unsubscribed
Advertisement
  • Re: Symbols of duality

Tue, January 18, 2005 - 12:01 PM
    Yes, arguably one of the best is the yin yang sign. Another is the six point star (hexagram) composed of two triangles. The Ouroboros is also a symbol of duality.
    • Unsu...

Re: Symbols of duality

Tue, January 18, 2005 - 12:50 PM
      Would the ouroboros be a symbol of duality or unity, as it is just one snake eating its own tail?

Tue, January 18, 2005 - 1:02 PM
        It's true that the ouroboros is only one snake (although sometimes it was depicted as a mating pair), but the duality lies in the its consumption of its own tail, so that it is the beginning and end. As such, like any good symbol of duality, it serves a unifying principle (especially when it is also considered androgynous) and can be seen both as a symbol of duality and of unity (the "all in one, and one in all"). So can the yin yang sign, and also the hexagram when viewed as two triangles rather than the six point star. The only difference between the Ouroboros as a dualistic symbol and the yin yang, is that the Ouroboros is more subtle.

Mon, January 24, 2005 - 9:27 AM
    Hermaphrodites, actually. If you look through some of the older alchemical and magic oriented texts, there are many instances of the male/female meeting within one body.
  • Unsu...

Wed, January 26, 2005 - 11:27 AM
    Duality? How about wearing a peace symbol on your flak jacket and writing "Born to KILL" on your helmet? ;)
    • Unsu...

Wed, January 26, 2005 - 11:39 AM
      The Jungian thing?
      • Unsu...

Wed, January 26, 2005 - 12:02 PM
        =D

"We need to keep our heads until this peace craze blows over!"
        • Unsu...

Wed, January 26, 2005 - 12:25 PM
          I was born to kill, and I'm not very hopefull there will ever be peace, soo.....

Got any symbols for the nature of good and evil, Candace?

Thu, January 27, 2005 - 11:17 AM
            Do you mean good/evil duality symbols or a symbol for good and symbol for evil? Most religious symbols can be taken for both if you invert their proper placement, for instance, a cross placed upside down is considered Satanic.

Did you have a particular religion in mind? I can do some reseach.
            • Unsu...

Thu, January 27, 2005 - 2:22 PM
              Universal symbols of the concept of duality, whether it's good/evil, male/female, etc. I'm looking for symbols that would instantly bring to mind the concept of duality in its most pure, conceptually archetypal sense, like the yin-yang. Perhaps some Native American symbols would be interesting to find out about.

The thing about the inverted symbols is that the symbol itself doesn't represent duality in a strict sense. The symbol means either one thing or another thing, but not the concept of both coexisting concepts at the same time. The cross can either represent the crucifixion OR the satanic inverse, not both sides of the dualistic coexistence of both. See what I mean?

The most elaborate symbols (of any kind) that I know of come from either Hinduism or Tibetan Buddhism, but I'd like to see more Western instances of this concept in symbolism. Western symbols seem to be more subtle than anything else (well, besides the cross, for one).
            • Unsu...

Thu, January 27, 2005 - 4:53 PM
              Good/evil duality, as that would represent my twisted ass self.

Religion need not neccesarily be involved, per se, but that would most likely make it eastern in ancestry, as a guess. More something along the lines of the split nature of humanity, the inclination for evil being just as strong as that for good.

Sat, March 26, 2005 - 1:43 PM
    the Hindu lingam-yoni, symbolizing
    the union of opposite forces. Male and female sexuality, balance.
    What could be better;-)
    Ehmm, maybe it wouldnt count under the category symbols?
    • Unsu...

Sun, March 27, 2005 - 9:32 AM
      Could we please have a pic?

Sun, March 27, 2005 - 8:45 PM
        The lingam is a phallic symbol, looking more or less like a penis. The yoni is usually a very stylized representation of the vagina. The lingam may be as small as a statuette, or may be represented as a pillar. The Yoni may also be represented as a statuette or the entrance to a cave. Both are very ancient symbols.

...uploading some symbols for you :)
        • Unsu...

Mon, March 28, 2005 - 1:54 PM
          Hmmm, interesting. I think I've seen these things somewhere else... can't quite put my finger on it...

Thanks! =)

Mon, March 28, 2005 - 2:09 PM
            Well, they've existed in diverse cultures throughout the world. For instance, among the Greeks and ROmans, the lingam was used as a boundary marker. It could be found as a marker between properties or at crossroads, representing the god of the place. It was usually a phallic pilar with a face, though the face might just as easily be absent. Offerings of "first fruits" were often left to it just like any god. Conversely any cave, whether it resembled a vaginal opening or not, was considered a womb of the goddess. Entry into any underground hole was looked at as a holy experience.
            • Unsu...

Mon, March 28, 2005 - 2:15 PM
              Wow, that's cool!

I was kidding, as I am bisexual and all I've spent some time up close and personal with both vaginas and penises =)

Interesting stuff, though, thanks!
            • Unsu...

Mon, March 28, 2005 - 4:34 PM
              Ok, ok, wait a minute....

I know you're a virgin, so no sex to distract you, but WHERE do you find time to learn all of this??

Tue, March 29, 2005 - 10:21 AM
                heh, well, you know, I didn't call myself the Bibliophile on a whim. :)

I read.... a lot. And my reading was categorized at a college level by the time I was in 5th grade, so I've been reading for a long, long time.

Plenty of time to fill my head with "unimportant" trivia.
                • Unsu...

Tue, March 29, 2005 - 6:23 PM
                  Funny. I'm the same, I guess I just stick to a few topics rather than being an intellectual omnivore. Impressive.

Recent topics in "Iconophilia"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
three triangles heather 2 October 17, 2012
The Name Game The Bibliophile 23 January 1, 2008
Symbols From Number Box Z 10 September 15, 2007
"Solar Mythology ~ Astrotheology" tribe Rocky 1 March 30, 2007